Since summer 2018, Heimstern e.V. and Gabi Canavan have been supporting Baria, a tiny community in the far south of Senegal near the border with the Gambia. After the successful installation of a large well with a solar-powered pump, further projects are set to follow. However, before starting on projects such as a school garden, a school kitchen and the renovation of the infirmary, we would like to give priority to those who will determine the future of Baria: the children and the teenagers. With their sponsorship sponsors will ensure that their child can visit school for a year, and that he or she will receive medical care and healthy regular meals.
For 120 EUR per year – that is 10 EUR per month – your sponsored child will receive the following:
- school materials, which usually consist of pens and pads, small blackboards for the first graders and compasses, a geometry set square and erasers for older pupils
- reviews of health and vaccination status, performed by the local nurse who lives in Baria
- medical care in an emergency
- healthy meals at least once a week. Plans are under way to increase the number of meals offered through the sponsorship program gradually. We feel, however, that it is important that even children who do not have a sponsor can partake in healthy, nutritious meals. It is for this reason that parts of the sponsorship contributions are used for such community services.
- Sponsors can send gifts (up to 1 kg) to their sponsored children twice a year (March / September), and include personal messages and letters with the shipment. The shipping cost is included in the sponsorship fee.
- Twice a year sponsored children receive clothing kits, partly produced locally. According to the children’s preference (and not our regulations), the kits will consist of traditional clothing or modern Western clothes.
- Once a year, upon request, sponsors receive a letter from their sponsored child (in French) with information about their lives in Baria.
If you decide to become a sponsor, you can choose your child from a group of 2-3 children. This, however, is not obligatory.
We recommend sending gifts from the following categories:
- Mandala books, colouring books
- pencils with sharpener (no felt-tip pens)
- Jump rope, rubber twist
- natural soap, shower towel
- small chains, bracelets
- backpack (medium size)
- pencil case
- Solar lamp “Little Sun”
Gabi, who is always on site, has close personal contact with all the children in the village. This means that in case of a change in demand we can act speedily and directly.